This Week in Tech: The Ads Edition (Spoiler: People Are Freaking Out)

 
May 5, 2017 2:57:39 PM

Google.jpg

Welcome to the latest TWiT (This Week in Tech) update. This week, we’ll focus our attention to the world of online advertising and try to figure out why the entire interwebs is losing its collective mind.

Spoiler Alert: It could have something to do with Google changing its advertising policies, Facebook revealing how much of its revenue is generated from online ads (holy s*^t, it’s a lot) and YouTube promising to be less racist.

Let’s get started!

 

More Ads in More Places -- Google's Guide to Business

Forget Google’s never-ending sermons about promoting user experience! The tech giant will now allow 300x250 ads ABOVE the fold on mobile webpages. In a complete and total reversal, giant ads above the fold are now “user-friendly” in the eyes of Google.  

Cool story, bro! But, you may want to update your own AdSense documentation, which still states:

“Publishers should ensure that their mobile site layouts do not cause ads to push the page content below the fold. For this reason, we don’t allow 300×250 ad units (or larger) above the fold on mobile as this layout requires the user to scroll down to view site content. To ensure a good user experience, the site content should be clear and accessible above the fold.” 

H/T: TechCrunch

 

Facebook F-d Without Advertisers

That giant “F” logo won’t stand for Facebook if the tech juggernaut loses its advertisers. That’s according to a new report issued by Facebook on Wednesday, where it revealed that 98% of its revenue came in the form of advertising. The remaining 2% comes almost exclusively from video games, where users purchase in-game currency.

Being this dependent upon advertisers could spell problems for The Book. A new report from Forrester Research doesn’t paint a pretty picture for the world’s largest social network. Look no further than the title, “The End of Advertising as We Know It.” Forrester Research claims Google and Facebook could see advertisers pull out $2.9 billion in ad spend. The report goes on to state that advertisers lost $7.4 billion on poor-quality ad placement in 2016.

H/T: Fortune & New York Post

 

 

YouTube Promises to Be Less Like Your Drunk Uncle

In some hopeful news, YouTube promised to be less racist this week. After mounting criticism from PepsiCo, Wal-Mart, Dish and a ton of other major brands regarding their ads playing opposite violent and racist content, You-Tube officially addressed their concerns Thursday night.

CEO Susan Wojcicki told a room full of heavy hitters – all in attendance as part of the streaming company’s hour-long presentation to the advertising industry – YouTube will do better:

“"The last couple weeks have been challenging for some of you. I want you to know that we have taken your feedback to heart. We work hard every day to earn our advertisers' and agencies' trust. We apologize for letting some of you down. We can, and we will, do better."

H/T: Hollywood Reporter

 

See Ya Next Week! 

That’s it for this week, folks! Subscribe to our blog for the latest tech updates, industry trends, algorithm updates and whatever fresh hell they decide to throw at us next week.

Until then, stay awesome!

New Call-to-action

At Puma Creative, we know your company is going places. Our high-performance growth company will help you get there. Faster. As a leading Gold Certified Hubspot Partner, with decades of experience in lead generation, customer conversions and data analysis, we are uniquely positioned to grow your business much quicker than you ever imagined. If you think we might be a good fit for your company, let’s chat.

Topics: SEO, Search Engine Optimization